Welcome to the ARS Culture Collection (NRRL) - FAQ
- What do I do when my strain cultures arrive?
- My cultures were dead on arrival, can I get replacements?
- Some of my cultures will take longer to grow than others, can I get multiple shipments?
- I am going to need cultures in a few months, can I order them now?
- How do I prepare a shipping label/commercial invoice?
1. What do I do when my strain cultures arrive?
a. Read the enclosed strain information sheet. This sheet has information regarding culture medium and optimal growth temperature. b. Place your strains at the appropriate temperature and in subdued light for 12 hours or so to allow it to stabilize. Then remove about half the biomass that was sent from each tube and place that in fresh medium. Retain the unused part of your cultures until you are certain that you have the strain growing in your medium. c.Maintain a subculture for your continued use.
2. My cultures were dead on arrival, can I get replacements?
We will replace/reship cultures that arrive in a completely unviable state (dead). However we must be notified that it did not survive within a two weeks of delivery.
Before we make arrangements for a reshipment, we need to have the following questions answered so that we may have more success at you receiving your strains alive. please send us an email with your order number referenced, the strain numbers listed, and your answers to the questions below:
a. Are you aware of any delay in the strain delivery or was there possible exposure to extremely high or low temperatures in transit?
b. Can you tell us what you did with the strain upon arrival?
c. Please tell us what medium, temperature and light conditions you are using to grow the culture.
3. Some of my cultures will take longer to grow than others, can I get multiple shipments?
Yes, however, you will need to pay full shipping and handling fees for each separate shipment.
4. I am going to need cultures in a few months - can I order them now?
Yes - absolutely! The earlier we can plan your shipment, the better. Just indicate in the comment field of your order when you would like your cultures to arrive and we will do our best to accommodate your request.